PLEASE NOTE: THIS PRICE IS FOR THE CABIN ONLY. AS IS. MUST BE MOVED!
Informed by the Japanese Wabi-Sabi aesthetic, emphasizing the beauty of nature and organic forms, including their flaws; the materials were predominantly chosen for their patinas, weathering; and their relationship to Galiano island, and it’s inhabitants.
A ‘character’ building, imbued with local elements, and patinas, the palette and finishing inside evoke more of the same ‘island vibe’ – sun, ocean, forest; not hewn fresh but aged, and with some stories to tell. The structure is informed by and highlights the beauty and natural grain in the wood; aged patinas of the siding and materials used, so that organic flaws become subtle features that underlie the tranquil beauty of the space.
MEASURING 24 ft by 10 ft. This substantial cabin on wheels, was built on a flat-deck trailer base, using traditional timber framing, and post and beam techniques because of the wider size and higher weight baring capacity. The house is all on one level with small storage loft above the bathroom, so ideal for older and less able bodied owners too.
The living room is just over 9’ by 9.5’ and has lots of natural light and a lovely cubic mini grizzly wood stove, which keeps the tiny house very warm. There are exposed posts and beams, and a warm and cosy vibe. The Living room and bedroom are at opposite ends of the home with a hallway separating them with a bathroom on one side and kitchen on the other. Beautiful aged Douglas fir Post & Beam features delineates the different living areas, creating a feeling of light and spaciousness throughout, as there are no sleeping lofts.
The kitchen features new Ikea cabinets in Hittarp design with oak countertops and a ceramic sink with black Ikea faucet. The bathroom is small but features a new Separett composting toilet, and Japanese mini Ofuro-style bathtub, and shower, as well as storage.
- MADE ON GALINO by local island artisans and contractors
- Features exposed post and beam and traditional timber framing
- Built using materials and processes consistent with current building code for a small cabin but on a flat deck trailer so portable
- High R value insulation (R35+)
- Mini wood burning stove
- Hot water on demand propane water heater
- Bathroom with Japanese Ofuro style tub, shower and storage
- NEW Separett Villa 9200 composting toilet
- Four distinct living spaces: kitchen, living room, bathroom and bedroom
- NEW Ikea cabinets, oak countertops and ceramic sink
- Detachable porch, deck, and staircase
- Passive solar heating from windows on three walls
- Bamboo and Laminate flooring throughout
- Water purification and filtration pumps purify to 99.99% if not on well system
- Rusted rustic patina on siding, with locally milled wood from Galiano treees
- Open spacious feel and design allows for normal furniture, and more choices
- Designed to be a longer term living space, rather than driven from place to place
- This is a home that was built to last longer than you will!
SOLD AS IS – there are still some interior finishing touches to be done as my health issues have kept the going slow, but she’s 95+% there, and she’s a beauty! If you are interested in finding out more, or would like to arrange a viewing, please contact me via the website.
For logistical reasons this property is only suitable for people living on the Southern Gulf Islands, SSI and Vancouver Island, or Lower Mainland, BC. Please feel free to share this with anyone you feel might have a genuine interest and resources to follow through. THANK YOU